Are you a high school student? Do you have a job? Do you need to fill in a tax return? These are some of the questions you might be asking yourself. And it can be a little daunting wondering whether you need to fill in a tax return or not. Below are some tax return tips and tricks to answer all your tax return questions.

Tax return tips and tricks for the bamboozled high school student

Not all high school students need to fill in a tax return.

However, if you work a summer job or after school and tax is taken out of your pay, you should lodge a tax return. And you should also lodge a tax return if your income from all sources is over AU$18,200.

If you fall into the second category, then here are some steps to follow:

Lodging online through myTax and the Australian Taxation Office

Step 1 – Have your tax file number (TFN) handy and one of the following identity documents: your birth certificate, passport or citizenship certificate.

Step 2 – Create a myGov account. This is important for lodging online. So don’t skip this step.

Step 3 – Call us on 13 28 61 and press 5 at the prompt to get your unique linking code to verify your account. Each unique code will expire after 24 hours.

Step 4 – Sign in to myGov, go to the Services page and link to the ATO. Select I have a linking code and follow the instructions as prompted.

Once linked, you then should be able to follow any links on the Australian Taxation Office page to lodge your first tax return. And this should be lodged from the 1st of July to the 31st of October.

You can also lodge a tax return through a tax agent, but this may be more complicated for some students.

So, if you are a high school student and need to lodge a tax return, hopefully these simple steps have helped you. And for more information on lodging your first tax return head over to the Australian Taxation Office website.

For more tips for study and high school life check out our website: